A Paros Hikes original: Easy, 2.5-3h walks in selected, ‘photogenic’ spots of Paros island, focusing more on the joy of taking pictures and sightseing, than walking… the walk!
Description If you are into photography (or always wanted to know how to use your compact or DSLR camera better) and enjoy wandering and taking pictures in new, fascinating places, then our Photowalks may be just the thing for you!
So, let us take you to a Cycladic ‘photo-safari’, with some photography learning on the side! Walking for 2.5-3 hours on easy terrain, our Photowalks take you to various locations, where we mainly focus on the process and fun of shooting, rather than just following a route! As we go, in perfect, plain English, an experienced photographer/guide will lead you to beautiful urban and rural sights, give you information about the place, its history and environment and, if desired, also offer an introduction to the principles of photography, and hands-on instructions and advice for using your camera better… so you can really capture that special sunset or the beauty of the moment!
In our Advanced Level tours, we can talk more about framing, focusing, depth of field, bokeh, macro, shutter & aperture priority modes, effects and more… All this, in the perfect Greek island setting! No previous knowledge or special equipment required, any camera will do (compact or DSLR), all you need is desire to walk, shoot… and learn!
All of our Photowalks are readily customizable to suit individual/group walking ability and wishes.
Photowalk options (mostly proposed as ‘golden hour’/sunset walks) :
1. The Aghios Ioannis Detis Peninsula Photowalk (5-7km, 3-4h, circular), starting from the traditional shipyards into the 17th c. Monastery of Aghios Ioannis overlooking Naoussa Bay, the Paros Environmental Park with its stunning rocky landscapes and ocean views, and walking all the way to the 19th c. lighthouse on Cape Korakas for arguably the best sunset on the island.
2. The Lefkes & Byzantine Way Photowalk (5-8.5 km, 3h-4h30m, circular), wandering around the narrow streets of the picturesque, old mountain capital of Lefkes, and then walking on ancient marble-paved footpaths overlooking valleys & hillsides with centuries-old stone terraces… to a string of ruined windmills dominating the E-NE flank of the village. too – readily customizable according to walking ability and individual wishes, this can be extended to a proper hike in idyllic countryside and include visits to small, Cycladic-style fortified monasteries of (Aghios Ioannis Kaparos or Aghia Kyriaki) nested deep in the valley.
3. The Parikia Bay Photowalk (4-6km, 2h30m-3h, circular), wandering around the maze-like alleys of the traditional settlement, the centuries-old church of Ekatontapyliani, the medieval Venetian quarter of Castro and along the scenic coastline with great bay (and town) views.
4. The Langeri Bay- Santa Maria Cape Photowalk (5-9km, 3h-3h30m, circular), going along the golden beach and coastline of the bay of Laggeri off Naoussa, all around the capes and the lace-like shoreline of the NE tip of Paros, all the way to Santa Maria beach and back.
5. The Marpissa- Molos- Piso Livadhi Photowalk (4.5km, 3h-3h30m), starting with a tour of the authentic Cycladic village of Marpissa, with its vaulted, winding alleys and distinctive old churches, and going up Kefalos hill (200m) for the imposing 17th c. monastery of Aghios Antonios and majestic views!
Questions or more info? Ask us!
In a nutshell [Walking, shooting… and learning!] Photography/walking/views/tradition/countryside, easy, duration 2h30m-4h30m (with stops), distance 4-9 km, elevation clearance ±0-200m.